Scaffolds are staging’s also known as scaffoldings which are man-made structures built on a temporary basis that supports and helps a team or crew mainly in the business of construction. Scaffolds highly aid construction procedures in the form of building construction, repairing, painting high rise buildings, bridges and all other forms of high structures. The scaffolds are mainly used at the construction site so that the workers can reach a stable height and perform their jobs in a higher area that would not have been normally possible otherwise.
Utilization and safety of scaffold structures
There are a lot of safety concerns related to scaffold as an unstable and weak scaffold can lead to life taking risks and injuries for the workers. The scaffolds are also utilized in several other aspects such as shoring, formwork, ski ramps, exhibition stands, concert stages, grandstand seating, a variety of art-related projects and half pipes.
Variety of scaffoldings in the recent era
In today’s world, there are five main varieties of scaffoldings available and are widely in use throughout the world.
- Tube and coupler scaffolds.
- Modular scaffolds that are prefabricated in nature.
- Façade or H modular scaffoldings.
- Bamboo scaffoldings.
- Timber scaffoldings
Types of scaffold components
Each of the types of scaffolds is created using a variety of materials which mainly include the following:
- A base plate also is known as a jack which bears the complete load of the scaffold.
- A standard and vertical component that helps as the joints for the connectors.
- A horizontal braced ledger.
- A cross-section that is horizontally named as transom which also bears the load and simultaneously holds on to the board, batten, and the unit for decking.
- Components in the form of braces either horizontal or vertical in shape.
- A work platform which is made up of board decking or batten.
- A fitting jointer named as a coupler.
- A tying unit for the scaffold to the nearby structures.
- It has fitted structures for the width extensions of the work stations in the form of brackets.
A series of specialized forms of components are also used for the purpose of construction of the temporary scaffolding structure. These specialized forms of components are ladders, transoms, stairways, beams, span obstacles, chutes to collect rubbish and many more such components that play a vital role in the construction works. The wide range of use for the scaffolding structures has earned its place and is under vast utilization at the global scale whenever there is a need for the construction business. These are equipped with present day equipment and advanced forms of fitting that provides safety and security to the users along with serving the scaffold structure with complete stability. The scaffolding has a lot of usage in the field of architecture and civil engineering and is one of the most important structures that aid construction towards specificity with adequate standards of operation.